FOR ALL GREAT GALLEY CHEFS
Site support comes from Amazon Affiliate Links throughout. If you're going to buy a suggested product, it costs the same to do it through an affiliate link and helps our small business.
We appreciate your patronage!
Unique challenges present when trying to cook successfully in the galley.
Space is the issue. On our boats, cooking can be a single burner camping stove or a four burner stove with oven, but counter space is never as big and roomy as a home kitchen; so we need to adjust our workflow to fit the confines of our work space.
Then we must account for available food items and how long we can store them as edible when cruising for extended periods. Below are ideas collected from around the world providing tips, tricks, and techniques specific to cooking in less space.
SCROLL DOWN TO ACCESS OUR RECIPE PAGES!
Tips for Meal Prep in Small Spaces
Adapting to small work space is the first step to successful cooking on a boat. Here are a few key ideas to incorporate into your thinking to make this work:
- Pre-plan meals when possible. If you live aboard, setting up a weekly meal planning system saves repeated frustration in meal prep.
- Prep meals before boarding the boat whenever possible to create heat and serve meals. Using a vacuum sealer is a great time saver. You can wash, cut, and package exact amounts for cooking later in vacuum sealed bags.
- When cooking from scratch, set up small, labeled zip-lock bags with pre-measured ingredients for specific recipes. You can even combine all dry ingredients.
- Take advantage of silicone cooking and storage bags (found on our GADGETS page) and pre-cook rice, pasta, and soups, or brown meats in your home kitchen prior to coming to the boat, freeze or refrigerate them and then reheat on board.
- Plan ahead if you need to melt butter, heat items, or perform specific tasks that may not be easily done in a boat galley. Read through recipes and imagine performing the steps in your galley if you have favorite recipes you want to make on board but aren't sure how to accomplish all the steps.
CHECK OUT OUR GREAT COLLECTION OF BOAT RECIPES
BAKING BREAD ON YOUR STOVE TOP
GRILLING ON BOARD